got a question?

find out the answer here
What is the Goldsmiths Student Village?

Goldsmiths Student Village is made up of three student halls of residence in the New Cross and Brockley area: Chesterman House, Raymont Hall and Surrey House and Annexe.

As part of an ongoing refurbishment scheme covering the Goldsmiths Student Village, Campus Living Villages will be in charge of the day to day running of the three halls and deliver improved accommodation with enhanced social and study spaces, more rooms and a greater range of room options to suit student needs.

How do I apply for accommodation in Chesterman House, Raymont Hall or Surrey House and Surrey House Annexe?

Applications for accommodation in the Goldsmiths Student Village are made via the Goldsmiths application portal.

Will I have to sign a contract?

Yes. If you are made an offer of accommodation at Goldsmiths Student Village, please take time to read the contract and Village Rules prior to accepting the offer.

Will I need a guarantor?

Yes, if you are made an offer of accommodation at one of the Goldsmiths Student Village halls, you will need to provide a guarantor. As part of the booking process, you will be asked to provide your guarantor’s contact details including email address, home address and telephone number before you can accept your offer. Your guarantor will subsequently receive an email with a link to the Guarantor Agreement page.

What can I do if I don’t have a guarantor and I am offered accommodation with Goldsmiths Student Village?

If you are made an offer of accommodation within a Goldsmiths Student Village hall, then please contact us directly prior to accepting your offer.

When can i move in?

Accommodation is usually available from the weekend before the academic term starts. If you are made an offer of accommodation at one of the Goldsmiths Student Village halls, your licence agreement will show the period covered in your contract.

We are currently improving Surrey House and Raymont Hall and are undertaking construction and refurbishment works that are due for completion in September 2017. In the event of delays, we will be in touch with any students affected and ensure they are kept up-to-date with information on support available and details of the contingency plans in place while the development is finalised.

What are my options if I am allocated a room which is not going to be ready for move in?

In the event of delays, we will contact any students affected and keep them up to date with information on support available and details of the contingency plans in place while the development is finalised. We will communicate with students allocated directly via email.

Will there be contractors working on site?

Althoughw we will work with their contractors it is likely that some completion and snagging works will be required after students move in. This may involve access into communal areas. Where access to study bedrooms is also required, notice will be given to students as described in the village rules. Additionally, landscaping in and around Raymont Hall and Surrey House will not be fully complete until later in the academic year and contractors will remain on site until all works have been finalised.

When are my fees due?

Generally, fees are due termly however full payment plan options will be provided if you receive an offer of accommodation.

Will I need to move out over Christmas and Easter?

Your contract will include the Christmas and Easter holidays. There is no need to move out and vacate your room at Christmas or Easter.

What facilities does the accommodation offer?

Students at Chesterman House will benefit from two indoor social areas and a courtyard.

Students in Surrey House and Surrey House Annexe will have access to the Orangery. Landscaping around Surrey House courtyard should be completed by late 2017.

Students in Raymont Hall will have access to a social/ study room. Landscaping in the hall’s garden should be completed by late 2017.

What happens if I leave the accommodation before the contract has ended/Can I leave my room before the end of the contract?

Contracts are for a minimum of 42 weeks for undergraduate students or 51 weeks for postgraduate students and if you leave early you will still be liable for the full term of the contract. It may be possible to release you from your contract if you are able to find a suitable replacement for your room or if you withdraw from your course. Please contact Goldsmiths Accommodation Services on accommodation@gold.ac.uk for more information.

What security is available at the accommodation?

Students at the Goldsmiths Student Village have 24-hour access to staff and security. Security at Chesterman and Surrey House and Surrey House Annexe is roaming between the two halls while Raymont Hall has a static security presence.

Is it possible to change rooms if I am not happy?

Room allocations are managed by Goldsmiths Accommodation Services. Students can apply to move rooms from the start of term. However, applications for room moves are generally not looked at until week five of the autumn term (around the beginning of November). This is so any vacancies can be used immediately for those applicants still on the waiting list to get a place in halls and it also gives students a chance to settle in to their new surroundings. Application forms are available from Loring Management Centre or on request by email. If we can offer you an alternative room, and you do move, please be aware that an £50 administration fee will be payable in advance. Students moving to a more expensive hall will need to pay the outstanding difference in rent prior to moving rooms.

Please note, students who have outstanding hall fees at the time of applying for a room swap will not be considered until they have spoken with the Campus Living Village team and made arrangements to pay outstanding sums. Please contact Goldsmiths Accommodation Services on accommodation@gold.ac.uk for more information on the process

I am an undergraduate student, can I stay in my room over the summer period?

You may be able to extend your stay over the summer period dependant on availability. Come speak to one of our staff members on site who will be happy to help you.

Am I allowed an overnight guest?

While Village management do not encourage overnight guests it is understood that on occasion this will occur. Residents are permitted to have adult guests for short periods of time with the approval of the other residents of the flat. Extended visits are not permitted and residents must not in any circumstances allow any other person to reside in their room or the flat common areas. All guests need to be signed in.

Who is responsible for cleaning?

You will be expected to clean your bedroom and the communal areas of your flat. We would suggest you create a cleaning rota with your flatmates when you arrive. Housekeeping operate across all three sites and are responsible for ensuring public communal areas are clean. Monthly kitchen inspection are carried out by Campus Living Villages management.

What can I do if I lose my fob?

Your fob will give you access to the main entrance, your flat, the laundry and communal spaces. If you lose your fob, please contact your hall office or security. Please note you will be charged for replacement fobs, with no refunds given if old fobs are found. The cost is £5.00.

Does the Village run social events for residents?

We run a ‘Village Life’ programme – a great opportunity for you to mix with other people living in the Village. The programme of events includes movie nights, cookery demos, table tennis tournaments and BBQs. As well as giving you the chance to socialise, make friends and learn new things, as part of Village Life, they also organise advisory sessions on things like financial worries and helping you if you’re feeling homesick.

Do I need to pay Council Tax?

Great news… in the UK, students are currently exempt from Council Tax so that’s one less cost to worry about. That said, if you finish your time as a student and don’t immediately leave, you will be liable for Council Tax if it becomes due. Read more here.

Am I allowed to bring a television for my room?

Yes, you’re more than welcome to bring your own television. Don’t forget that you’ll need to buy your own television license, so have a quick read of the information here first. There are no aerial ports in our rooms so it’s worth checking that you can receive a good reception before buying your licence and installing your TV. That way, you won’t be out of pocket if you find that you’re unhappy with the quality of the picture.

Can I bring a pet?

As much as we love cuddly, furry animals, there’s a strict ‘no pets’ policy at all our villages at the moment. This includes every type of pet, from goldfish and birds to cats and dogs. This excludes guide or hearing dogs.

Can I choose who I live with?

No-one wants to live with someone they’re unlikely to bond with so our system allows you to choose the room you like and view the profile of other students who have booked already.  You can then select a room and flatmates to suit your lifestyle and interests.

How is living with us different to private housing?

Private housing is great if you want to pay extra bills on top of your rent and if you enjoy the pressure of dealing with household issues without any support. Life in our villages is far more fun, less stressful and has greater benefits for your studies. We offer an independent living experience in affordable accommodation, just minutes away from classes, at one inclusive rate! At the same time, we ensure support is available 24 hours a day and offer a fantastic social programme so you’re never bored or lonely. You get the freedom to live your life within an exciting student community at a budget that suits your needs. What could possibly beat that?

Does the Village run social events?

Yes. The Village runs a series of events throughout the year. It is a great way to meet people, make new friends and have a good time.

still have a question?

contact us