do you have a question about living at centennial court?

below are some frequently asked questions by students just like you. If you still can't find the answers you are looking for, please feel free to call the office. We would be happy to help!
Am I eligible for accommodation at Centennial Court?

All students enrolled in a higher education institution are eligible to apply for accommodation at Centennial Court including research assistants, faculty, staff and full-time, part-time, undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Am I required to have the Meningitis Vaccine to live at Centennial Court?

Effective January 1, 2010 all students who are newly enrolled at the University of Texas at Arlington and who will reside in on-campus housing, including Greek housing, must provide evidence of Menactra vaccination against bacterial meningitis or must qualify for one of the two exemptions prior to moving into on-campus housing.

Are pets allowed?

There is a strict no pets policy at Centennial Court. This includes goldfish and birds.

Are priorities given to particular students?

The Village hosts a diverse range of residents from all over the world and across the United States, and we see this as a true strength of our community. To ensure fairness, we don’t give preference to any group over others. Therefore we encourage all applicants to submit the relevant forms as early as possible to avoid disappointment.

Can I choose my roommates?

If you’d like to share an apartment with a friend, please specify this on yourroommate matching form. Given our high demand, we can’t guarantee to fulfill all requests, but we’ll definitely try our best to accommodate you.  You and your preferred roommate must choose each other on the lease.  We will not match based on just one lease request.  You can also now select your room and roommate on our online lease.  If you have any questions, please contact our office for assistance.  The earlier you and your friend apply, the easier it is for us to assign you to the same apartment.  If you know someone who might want to live at the Village, you can refer a friend here!  If you do not have a roommate preference, we do provide a roommate matching service.  Please fill out the roommate matching form and submit it to our offices in order to take advantage of this service.

Can I have a vehicle?

Centennial Court allows all residents to have a vehicle.  As we are on UTA campus, you must purchase a resident parking permit to park on our lot through your My Mavs account at: http://www.uta.edu/uta/  Visitors can park off-site in lot 49 on the opposite corner of Mitchell and Cooper.

Do you provide Internet access?

Broadband connectivity is available in every bedroom at the Village.  Both clubhouses are wireless.

How close is Centennial Court to the University?

Centennial Court is located on the corner of Mitchell and Cooper Street on the UTA campus. It takes approximately five minutes to walk to Mavericks Activities Center and just ten minutes to walk to the University Center.

How do I set-up and pay for my electricity?

At Centennial Court, electricity service and/or account setup is not necessary.  The electricity service for all units is maintained under the Centennial Court account.  On a monthly basis, we will notify you electronically with the electricity costs associated to your unit.  The total balance for the month will be divided evenly amongst all roommates living in the unit and must be paid by the first day of the month following the date of the email notification, i.e. January’s bill is due on February 1st.  A $10 monthly stipend per resident is allotted.

How long are your lease agreements?

Centennial Court offers Full 12-month leases, Academic 10-month leases, 7-month Spring/Summer leases, 5-month Spring leases, and 2-month Summer leases.

I have my own furniture; can I remove yours?

Centennial Court has a limited number of two bedroom apartments that are unfurnished.  If you live in a furnished apartment you may supplement the furniture that comes in the apartment but you may not remove any of the furniture provided to you.

What if I have a maintenance request?

As a resident if you have maintenance request you can call the office at 817.436.4800 to provide your name, unit number, request, and call back number or you can file a maintenance request online through your resident portal.