bacterial meningitis awareness

As a new incoming student to The University of Houston it is important that you be aware that the Texas Jaime Schambaum Act was passed during the 2009 Texas legislative session and signed into law. The law, effective January 1, 2010, requires all first-time students and transfer students attending an institution of higher education in the state of Texas who plan to reside in an on-campus housing facility show evidence of having received the Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination or documentation of a valid exemption.

You must have received the vaccination at least ten (10) days prior to taking up residence in an on-campus housing facility. Students who have been approved to reside in an on-campus housing facility, but who have not received a vaccination in a timely manner will be expected to make alternate arrangements for housing until the full 10 days have elapsed. The law also allows for exemptions on medical grounds or reasons of conscience, including religious belief.

Complete and print the Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Form. Follow the instructions provided on the form to fulfill the requirements.

If you are requesting a medical or conscientious exemption, return the Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Record Form along with one of the following documents:

  1. An original affidavit or certificate signed by your physician stating that the physician is of the opinion that the required vaccination would be injurious to your health and well being. The affidavit or certificate should include the physician’s name, address, the state where he/she is licensed and license number.
  2. An original notarized Conscientious Exemption form received from the Texas Department of State Health Services signed by you stating that you decline to have the required vaccination based on reasons of conscience, which include religious beliefs.

If you fail to satisfy the immunization requirement or submit a valid exemption, you will not be able to move into an on-campus housing facility. You will not receive your room assignment until we have received and processed your immunization record or valid exemption. Failure to submit documentation of the required vaccination does not alleviate your responsibility under any contractual relationship with an on-campus housing facility.

Updates to your immunization status will be sent to the e-mail address listed on your UH student account. For questions or more information on the residential immunization requirement, please contact the Housing office at or 713-743-6000.

useful links

immunization information

exclusions from immunizations

texas jaime schambaum act

texas higher education coordinating board